Sunday, November 04, 2007

American Gangster

This movie is essential a black Goodfellas if the foul-mouthed cops who busted Ray Liotta at the end were in half the movie instead of one scene. And if it were directed by middlebrow grinder Ridley Scott instead of cinematic genius Martin Scorsese. Other than that, the two films share a lot of characteristics. They both glory in horrible seventies fashions and the glamor and sudden violence of the gangster lifestlye. More substantatively, both films underscore the connection between the cuthroat world of organized crime and good old American capitalism. Both films are also about two and a half hours long. One of the bigger differences is that only American Gangster actually feels like it's two and a half hours long. I never complain about movie lengths, but man does the middle of this fucker DRAG. The movie never really builds any kind of momentum. Still, there are few things cooler in film than when Denzel Washington plays a bad guy, and there are some really nice bits here and there, but it just doesn't add up to much beyond a well crafted gangster film that bites off a bit more than it can chew. It's too bad, because American Gangster is clearly aiming for epic sweep: it's an attempt to encapsulate the urban decay and endemic political and social corruption of the Vietnam war era, but the techiniques used are clumsy and ineffectual. The most egregious of these is the repeated use of one of the worst tropes in the filmic canon: the Amazing Expository Televison! Instead of weaving the political realities of the late sixties and early seventies into the film and its characters, whenever Scott wants to give a shot of poltical context, he shows his characters watching television, which is always convienently tuned to a news report on the situation in Vietnam, the urban drug epidemic, etc.

Score: 7.7

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know this is not related to this particular review, but I just saw "No Country For Old Men."

Seriously, Matt--Drop everything you are doing and go see it as soon as you get the chance. You won't regret it.

matthew christman said...

No shit. I've been wearing a hole in my pants with a NCFOM antici-boner for the past THREE MONTHS!!! I seriously considered driving down to Chicago on the 9th when it opened there. I hate your stinking Jew Yorker guts for being able to see it before I got to. Rest assured, I will be there front and motherfucking center on the 21st when our little backwater finally gets it.

Goddamn asshole...got to see this shit TWO WEEKS before I get to! AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Yes, but listen to this:

For some reason, as if to punish everyone, the theatre lights were on for the first 20 minutes, and they (of course) just raised the price of movie tickets to roughly $15 bucks a pop (when you throw in taxes). So people were irate and screaming and running out of the theatre all crazed during some crucial opening scenes--scenes that now as I reflect back on it, were very damned important as far as setting up some key themes.

So, I feel like I need to see it again just to see how the movie starts. Assholes!

ha ha ha ha

I can't remember feeling so wrecked after a film. I was basically up all night wonder what the fuck to do.

Anonymous said...

Also, sorry--

better than my beloved Jesse James movie, to boot.

matthew christman said...

Thanks for giving me the heads up on that New York Magazine. I snagged it at work. I'm looking forward to reading it and, perhaps, posting a response.

Anonymous said...

No problem. Look forward to whatever you put up...